[TriLUG] Cheap Local LAMP hosting?

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 16:59:29 EDT 2009

22 cents per GB for bandwidth is pretty pricey - Amazon's cloud pricing is I
think 15 cents per GB, but even that is pricey, imo.  If you've got anything
more then moderate bandwidth requirement, something like amazon or rackspace
cloud options will effectively double the cost of going with a VPS from
linode or a dedicated server from theplanet or serverbeach.
I push out around 600 gig of bandwidth per month, and the cost of doing so
on amazon or rackspace vps offerings is insane vs just having a dedicated
server someplace (which I do).

For the original hoster's needs - w/out knowing the bandwidth requirements,
it's hard to recommend a vps from rackspace vs linode.

Also, the control panels Cristobal talked about from slicehost and linode
are more for controlling the images (virtual disk imaging and such).  You'd
still get a bare raw linux image.  While I understand some people (like
yourself) might be inclined to go with raw SSH access to manage everything,
I'd recommend putting at least webmin (or virtualmin) on something so that
you can pass off management of this to someone less technically inclined
later on.  Being married to some maintenance of a system because no one else
understands how to do anything via command line only is no fun.  :)

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Brian Cottingham <spiffytech at gmail.com>wrote:

> A VPS definitely sounds like the way to go. I've heard good things from
> Linode customers, but for price, Rackspace Cloud Servers[1] are hard to
> beat. Starting at $11/mo + $0.22/GB bandwidth, all of the major server
> distros, and access to many of Rackspace's support resources.
>
> [1] http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers
>
> -Brian
>

> On 10/11/2009 04:15 PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:
>
>> What's "cheap" to you?  I'd recommend a low-end VPS from slicehost.com or
>> linode.com and then you're in complete control.  Throw virtualmin on
>> there
>> and you're pretty good to go.  $20/month.  I'm not sure you'll get *much*
>> cheaper than that while still having the ability to install your own CPAN
>> and custom stuff.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Paul Bennett<paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> I work with a small local charity (a crisis hotline), and we're looking
>>> upgrade the current static-HTML site to something hosted on a platform
>>> with
>>> Linux, Apache (mod_perl and mod_auth_mysql), MySQL, and Perl. Freedom in
>>> installing my own CPAN and custom modules is required.
>>>
>>> Since it's a (very) small nonprofit, with a (very) small operating
>>> budget,
>>> price is very much an issue. I don't trust my Google-fu enough to find
>>> non-scam cheap hosting that's going to offer enough security and
>>> reliability. I know it's kind of the Holy Grail of hosting, but has
>>> anyone
>>> got any stories they'd like to share about particular hosting suppliers?
>>> Cheap is king, but not at the expense of breaching the confidentiality or
>>> anonymity of callers or volunteers. Local would be nice (since we're a
>>> local
>>> community service), but is not a requirement.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Paul
>>> --