[TriLUG] Focusing on the "4 Good" of NCTech4Good, Oct. 21, United Way

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Mon Oct 12 12:24:01 EDT 2009

To several lists:

For those of you who like to help out nonprofit organizations or are
looking for a way for nonprofits to find tech help other than calling
you, NCTech4Good + United Way's Volunteer Solutions might be the answer.

We plan to start with the 3 projects listed below with the idea of
encouraging nonprofits to post their needs once we have a little experience.

Focusing on the "4 Good" of NCTech4Good
6:30 PM, October 21, 2009, United Way of the Greater Triangle, the Board
(Emerald) Room

We've spent the past several months discussing the "tech" half of what
we do, so now let's focus in on the "4 good." Shelly Bowers (United Way
of the Greater Triangle) will show us how United Way's volunteer
matching service, Volunteer Solutions, works. NCTech4Good could use this
service. Then we'll look at three projects:
(1) Further define this NCTech4Good project.
(2) An alternative school for middle-thru-high school students who’ve
been expelled, fell through the cracks, etc., has a computer lab that is
unusable because the computers run too slow. Needs a team. Leader to
determine what needs to be done and coordinate.
(3) Triangle Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service

Register before the meeting. Go to http://www.unitedwaytriangle.org/ and
click Volunteer, click Volunteer Solutions, click Register, or go
directly to http://volunteer.united-e-way.org/triangle/volunteer/register/
Create a profile named NCTech4Good volunteer. (Volunteers can have
multiple profiles so you can have others for additional interests.)
Bring your laptop to the meeting and volunteer to work on NCTech4Good
projects.

Pizza and socializing starting at 6:30, program at 7:00. Note: We'll
meet in the Board Room (also known as the Emerald Room). No food or
drinks are allowed in the Board Room. So pizza will be in the kitchen or
Pine Room.

We look forward to seeing you there!

For more information and to RSVP, see
http://www.meetup.com/NCTech4Good/calendar/11497540/