[TriLUG] TV Tuner, Linux, and QAM

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon Oct 12 17:03:28 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,
I have used the HD HomeRun with TimeWarner cable tv and I can get the
standard broadcast channels like NBC, WRAL, UNC.  I have never had an
analog tuner or TV so I can't comment on what channels, if any, that I
was missing out on.

I have now using an internal antenna and I seem to be getting more
channels over-the-air than I did with TWC. My HDHomeRun now sits
beside the antenna upstairs and I run CAT5 down to my router/switch,
eliminating the signal losses from long coaxial cables.

HDHomeRun has a small GUI app for tuning channels and displaying
signal strength bars.  This was really useful for positioning the
antanna in order to get max signal strength.

Bill