[TriLUG] [Off Topic] Net App SAN reliability

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Wed Oct 14 08:49:41 EDT 2009

I have a FAS3040a (dual controllers). Since I've had it (about 1 1/2 years, I've had two disks fail, and a fiber card). Easily replaceable, and resulted in less than 5 minutes of downtime. Based off what we have now with EMC, ***I'd say about 3-5 years before it goes into extended support ...which you're going to pay out of the a** to keep it.***

If you're going iSCSI, I'd recommend running that traffic over a separate VLAN. What I like about NetApp is having a choice. We have actually had iSCSI, CIFS, and FC all at the same time...

I'd ask both NetApp and EMC what you would expect to pay once this goes into extended support.