[TriLUG] MS Web Host drops connecions from Linux clients

Brian Phelps brphelps at ieee.org
Tue Nov 3 10:54:50 EST 2009

A vendor of mine hosts a web site that basically drops or times out
connections from any Linux machine I have tried:
http://www.keydigital.com

>From linux the site seems really slow.  The site is quick if you try it from
an MS machine w/ FF.

I have tried using FF w/ no scripting on, same problem.

It even does this using curl from any of my Debian or Ubuntu machines and
even on a Redhat server I manage.

The vendor Web Admin blames my machine and says I am the only one with this
problem and that I need to upgrade my browser to the latest version of
Internet Explorer.  I've been trying to resolve this issue with them for
nearly three weeks now.

BTW: This problem does not occur on a Mac w/ FF.

Anyone here know what the reason that this dropout is happening?  My guess
is it is some DDoS defense setting in their firewall/server configuration.
It seems to be TCP related, not HTML, scripting, or Flash etc.

-Brian