[TriLUG] MS Web Host drops connecions from Linux clients

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:55:07 EST 2009

Poked my brother about this (up in Detroit - slow up there too).  His random
notes include:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932170
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/720119.html
one of the last comments: "Just wanted to give a status update for those
that might be interested.

We are dealing directly with Microsoft regarding this issue and it has been
escalated quite high in the support team.

We have managed to duplicate the issue with Linux as well so the problem is
not just related to Mac OS X. It also relates to any TCP transfer and not
just with SMB.

Looking very much like a bug with Vista and hopefully in time there will be
a hotfix for it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_TCP

CTCP is enabled by default in computers running beta versions of Windows
Server 2008 and disabled by default in computers running Windows Vista. CTCP
can be enabled with the command: netsh interface tcp set global
congestionprovider=ctcp   or disabled with the command: netsh interface tcp
set global congestionprovider=none

looks like there are a lot of known problems with vista/2008 and TCP

even pingdom says it takes 3.3 sec to load a 3.8 kb file and 0.6 seconds to
transfer a 3.6 kb file

it's def something wrong with the server and other windows clients ignore
the lost packets and keep resending new ones instead of waiting for
retransmission

Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers
http://groovymag.com - for groovy developers