[TriLUG] inconsistent results from badblocks

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Nov 10 20:19:43 EST 2009

I've just bought a 500G laptop SATA drive from Intrex (it's
a Hitachi). I ran badblocks (-svw) on it and got about a
dozen badblocks, so Intrex kindly exchanged the drive on the
spot without me having to go through the manufacturer (one
of the reasons I go to Intrex).

The replacement drive also has about a dozen badblocks on
it. This time I ran badblocks twice, to find a different
dozen (or so) badblocks on the 2nd run. If a block was bad,
I would expect it to stay in the same place for both runs.

Intrex says to bring it in and they'll run their bad block
tester on it, which is windows based (I had a bad disk once
before and they ran their Windows based tester in front of
me, and it got the same results as linux badblocks).

I don't have a testable theory about what might be
happening. If Intrex's windows badblocks tester OK's the
disk, I won't know if I have a good disk or not.

Any other ways of checking the disk?

Thanks Joe