[TriLUG] Cable modem + firewall + router

Paul G. Szabady paul at thyservice.com
Tue Nov 17 11:39:20 EST 2009

Steve, et al:

I'm working with a SAP developer and is running ESX on windows with
windows and linux clients, 2 linux servers and standard w2k3 server.
For reasons I don't necessarily agree with, there are four systems that
require a public IP.  Additionally, "We do not want to turn on the
Windows firewall and we want to do on the VMWARE bridging and not use
their NAT service as it slows everything down."

Expanding on your example, I'd like to find a commodity appliance that
will route packets to the servers using public IPs as well as NAT for
others, while also providing a firewall.  A number of these servers on
the PubIP side use the same std ports (ie: 80, 443, 22, etc) so I can't
easily use port forwarding.  I'm hoping I don't need to go the way of an
expensive Cisco router.  ;/

                Commodity Appliance

                       \|/
                        v                 ________.