[TriLUG] Cable modem + firewall + router

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Tue Nov 17 11:36:16 EST 2009

This is the "oh god please don't ditch us for U-Verse" deal. I have
nothing useful on how to browbeat TWC into giving you a reasonable rate,
but thought I would just offer this -- I took it, and then ditched them
for U-Verse anyway. It was so much fun to say to the TWC call center
person "there is absolutely nothing you could do to keep me from leaving
except become cheaper and faster."

I've had one instance where I got up in the morning and their router
needed a hard reset; otherwise trouble-free.

We got the absurdly fast "Max Plus" net option and it is exactly as fast
as they promise. When I went to torrent karmic the other week I got up
to 2.2MB/sec down and 180KB/sec up without breaking a sweat and stayed
there.

This plus a DVR and an extra receiver and TV U100 (some channels,
nothing premium, no HD) is $129 with no contract.

The only downside I've found is that the idiot box that acts as a router
-- a 2Wire thing -- insists on NATing to my Tomato router instead of
bridging. So I have to set up an extra step of port forwarding. I tried
the "forward everything" option with no success so far -- anyone have
experience working around this?

--bak