[TriLUG] Cable modem + firewall + router

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:51:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:39, Paul G. Szabady <paul at thyservice.com> wrote:
> Steve, et al:

> Expanding on your example, I'd like to find a commodity appliance that will
> route packets to the servers using public IPs as well as NAT for others,
> while also providing a firewall.  A number of these servers on the PubIP
> side use the same std ports (ie: 80, 443, 22, etc) so I can't easily use
> port forwarding.  I'm hoping I don't need to go the way of an expensive
> Cisco router.  ;/

I'm not sure you're going to be able to pick something up at best buy
that's going to do this.  If you're wanting a 'commodity appliance'
vs. build your own, i think you're looking at a sonicwall or something
similar.  You can get what you want w/o having to pay cisco-level
prices.

If you do build (or have someone build for you) something i do
recommend pfsense/m0n0wall.  It'll be easy to set up, and easy for you
to maintain afterwords.