[TriLUG] Hackable (Tomato or DD-WRT) N based dual band routers

Joseph F Garvey jgarvey at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 3 16:53:38 EST 2009

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote on 12/03/2009 03:53:59 PM:

> Keith Woodie <kwoodie at gmail.com>
>
> Does anyone know of a good hackable N based router (Linksys preferred)
on
> the market?  I wish Linksys would release a N equivalent to the WRT54GL.

I use/have several ASUS WL500-W N type routers with DD-WRT on them.
With the openwrt packages and a USB key, it's a very nice router with
just about any software package you might care to run. I even wrote a
simple themeable Access Point (AP) package for it, since I didn't like the
existing choices. This allows known systems to connect using a secure
openvpn connection, and to let unknown systems connect to the Internet
only using the AP software once we tell them the AP login info. It
even supports multiple different sets of access so unknown systems
can have different levels of access (like Internet + access to
networked printers).

My laptop uses the ASUS WL500W in 'N' mode, and I bought two a
couple of weeks ago.

--

Joe Garvey
jgarvey at us.ibm.com