[TriLUG] Fwd: New Public DNS from Google

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:28:33 EST 2009

about:config network.dnsCacheEntries = 0, will make browsing a bit
slower (but you can either use dnsmasq caching on your router or a
very fast DNS server like google's).

There's also network.dnsCacheExpiration, but I don't know what the
units are for that field.  I set it to 0.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Brian Phelps <brphelps at ieee.org> wrote:
> No ad ridden results. Thanks Alexander!
>
> Now how does one get Firefox not to fail at resolving a domain if you
> don't have internet temporarily while putting an address in, then
> internet is restored seconds later.  It takes FF like several minutes
> to try to actually resolve the name again and not just pretend that
> resolving fails.  I'm totally screwed at finding this tweak through
> googling.
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Brian Phelps <brphelps at ieee.org> wrote:
>> How does it compare to Opendns, which returns ad ridden results when
>> the domain cannot be resolved, and due to a strange bug in firefox
>> claims a particular website cannot be resolved and returns ads even if
>> it exists when you lose internet connectivity for a split second, as
>> often happens on a laptop?
>>
>> Wow that wasn't even close to a sentence but more of a barely coherent
>> ramble.  Sorry
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Alexander Ray <alexjray.ncsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I thought I'd post this here for those interested,
>>>
>>> Google Public DNS:
>>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
>>>
>>> Google's doing a nice public DNS.  It's out of the Google Code/Google Open
>>> Source division, so maybe it'll be competing with OpenDNS.
>>>
>>> For, the greatest part is the IPs:
>>> 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
>>> I can remember those :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> ~Alex
>>> --

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com