[TriLUG] OpenDNS hijacking google.com addresses?

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:57:18 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
> Tinfoil hats ready...
>
> I run dnsmasq on my machines, and I normally point it to
> use OpenDNS as its upstream source.  When I ask it for
> www.google.com, it does *not* resolve to an opendns address.

Great! Thanks for checking into that Alan. Not sure what crack that
namebench app was smoking. But that opendns subdomain does exist and
appear to be a proxy to google. The namebench app is a 20% project of
a googler, maybe they're unhappy w/ OpenDNS for some other reason? It
did recommend OpenDNS for me though... who knows??!?!?!!

Thanks,

Paul