[TriLUG] Data Recovery

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 8 10:34:37 EST 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Eddie Field wrote:

> Would anyone know of a good company here in town (or even "shade-tree"
> mechanic) with experience with data recovery?  My laptop hard drive crashed
> and my backups are corrupt.  Its not seeing the drive at all even using data
> recovery software.  It sounds like I'm going to have to put the platters in
> a working drive.  Any advise/direction/prayers would be appreciated!

it's not hopeless yet. Are there any signs of hopelessness
(clicking, scraping)?

If not, stick the drive in the freezer for a while, take it
out (wrap in paper, or plastic to stop it getting wet, or
stick the cable into the freezer) and see if it's
recognized. If so, do a dd copy and mess with the copy (put
the dead drive on the shelf and don't touch it).

If that doesn't work, then go to a recovery company

Joe