[TriLUG] Data Recovery

mgmonza mgmonza at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:34:25 EST 2009

Eddie Field wrote:
> Would anyone know of a good company here in town (or even "shade-tree"
> mechanic) with experience with data recovery?  My laptop hard drive crashed
> and my backups are corrupt.  Its not seeing the drive at all even using data
> recovery software.  It sounds like I'm going to have to put the platters in
> a working drive.  Any advise/direction/prayers would be appreciated!
>

> ~Eddie Field

I had very good luck with this TriLug recommendation when my work T41's
motherboard went south:

http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/

They recovered all the non-system data, and put the recovered hard drive
in its own jacket with a USB plug in.  Easy data access and very
inexpensive too.

One caveat:  almost none of the system files on the Windows NT drive
were recovered.  I believe that was a matter of policy, since M$ goes to
great lengths to make this difficult.  You may want to make sure they
can and will restore system files as well.

The location I went to is actually in Cary on Cary Parkway, don't know
if there is one in Raleigh proper as well.