[TriLUG] what do crt[1in].o do?

Rodney Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 9 11:24:10 EST 2009

Try turning on the -v (verbose) option on your gcc command line and it gives you information about what steps it is taking to compile, assemble and link your program.

The crt1.s file is just the setup for the C runtime library, but does not contain the various functions you call from your code. The only thing in crt1.s is the minimum setup for your code.  The actual routines exist in a library, usually called /usr/lib/libc.a, or some similar wording.