[TriLUG] Burn-in Software (James Jones)

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:36:52 EST 2009

> Message: 11
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:40:37 -0500
> From: James Jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>
> Subject: [TriLUG] Burn-in Software
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion <trilug at trilug.org>
>
> All,
>
> I have assembled a new server for my computer room. I would like to do
> a 24-36 hour burn-in of the unit ( running centos 5.4 32bit ) using
> some soft of "exercising" software.
>
> Are there any open source packages available for such a task?
>
> Thanks

It isn't in RHEL as far as I can tell but you can build it yourself if
you can't find RPMs

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/stress

A tool to impose load on and stress test a computer system

'stress' is a tool that imposes a configurable amount of CPU, memory,
I/O, or disk stress on a POSIX-compliant operating system and reports
any errors it detects.

'stress' is not a benchmark. It is a tool used by system
administrators to evaluate how well their systems will scale, by
kernel programmers to evaluate perceived performance characteristics,
and by systems programmers to expose the classes of bugs which only or
more frequently manifest themselves when the system is under heavy
load.