[TriLUG] iptables firewall: dnat loopback

Tommy Williams talen.quickblade at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 18:32:00 EST 2009

I need a hand getting my brain around this last bit of iptables.  I
have created a new firewall using an old linux system with two
interfaces. Everything works nicely, except that I expected local
traffic with the destination address of the public interface to be
nat'ed just like everything else.

I've had a rough time finding more information on how to accomplish
this.  As I am on a cable mode, with a single IP I have multiple
services coming in on multiple ports, and would like to ability to
test the firewall and those services using the public ip address while
on my LAN. I'll take any handouts here.

What am I missing here that allows iptables to send traffic to the
other interface, process the traffic with the all of the nat table
chains and forward rules?

--
Tommy Williams

"If the box says "Needs Windows 2000 or better" why won't it work on Linux?"