[TriLUG] portable music player?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Dec 18 05:48:31 EST 2009

Hullo List,

I'm thinking about getting myself a running companion for my ears.  I've
been keeping my head in the sand ignoring portable players for long
enough that now I realize I don't know the playing field very well.  I
do know my major criteria beyond "it plays music", however:

1. I have a large collection of ogg music files.  I'd like my player to
be able to play them without having to first convert to mp3.

2. I have Linux (haduh!  I'm on /this/ list, right?), and don't have
Windows.  Anything that requires a firmware upgrade with a "special
utility for Windows only", or otherwise won't work with the Free tools,
is a no-go.

I've been off and on researching this over the past year or two, and the
influx of ogg-capable players is increasing.  However, it's the latter
criteria to which I can't seem to find definitive answers, much less
satisfactory products.

Has anyone gone through this recently?  Any pointers or suggestions of
products on which I should focus my attention?

Much appreciated,

Kevin