[TriLUG] portable music player?

Dwain Sims dsims at bayleafnc.org
Fri Dec 18 15:16:01 EST 2009

I bought my daughter a Sansa player a few years ago and we had a major gripe
with it.  It was a 2GB player with an Micro-SD expansion slot.  She wanted
to take a movie for a school trip, and we had captured a few good titles off
of TCM on our Replay.  This will be easy I thought,  I bought her a 4GB
Micro-SD and copied the movie to the card.  Plugged it in and nothing.  The
Sansa's firmware was crippled in such a way that it would not look for
movies on the card no matter what.  I later heard (not confirmed) that this
was a DRM issue.  In fact, the Sansa will see nothing other than MP3s on the
expansion card.  Sorta defeats the purpose in my book.

Now I do not know if the current crop of Sansa devices still have this ugly
behavior, but its enough that I did not even consider that brand when buying
some new ones for my younger kids this Christmas.

Have a happy holiday....

Dwain