[TriLUG] Consumer-grade dual-home Internet connection options

Ronald Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:18:41 EST 2009

I would start with pfSense (software firewall distro) in a dual-wan config.  The hardware specs will be minimal (Intel Celeron with 1G ram and a quad-port NIC), and there are lots of resources for setting up pfSense (official docs, wiki, forums, etc).  Just point your browser to http://www.pfsense.org.  As you know, you will still need a network switch to connect all your client machines to the firewall box.

As for the 2960, I can help you out configuring the switch however you like (yes, for free).  However, the Cisco is probably overkill for home use.  One thing to keep in mind is power consumption.  A consumer-grade off-the-shelf 16-port GigE switch (D-Link, Dell, etc) will no doubt draw much less power than a Cisco enterprise-grade switch and can be had for well under $200 (check out newegg.com).  In the end, both devices will give you the same home-user functionality - unless you need some unique feature from the Cisco box.

Feel free to unicast me with your email/phone.  We can always setup a screen share so I can walk you thru the config of both the Cisco and pfSense boxes...

-Ron