[TriLUG] Corrupted package install database

Glenn Starling multifacetedguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:12:47 EST 2010

I sent this out this afternoon and did not receive it back from the mail
list, so I hope you don't receive it twice.

When updating to Kubuntu 8.10, the package database became corrupted and the
install *almost* finished, but most things worked on reboot.  Neither
Synaptic nor Adept were installed.  KPackageKit was installed, but says
"some packages" are corrupted and suggests running Synaptic or Adept.
Neither would install or be removed as they were "half-installed,"  even if
I use the force option.  These are dependencies of something and the package
installer always aborts before installing anything until these dependencies
are resolved.  It always suggests reinstalling this package before removing
or use the "sudo apt-get -f install" command without specifying any package
to try to automatically fix the problems.  Using apt-get, dpkg, and aptitude
from the command line show the problem is with the adobe-flashplugin,
flashplugin-installer and flashplugin-nonfree.

Google provided one useful link that suggested entering "the following
commands under a console & now you should be able to install any software
packages normally under Ubuntu 9.10." (From
http://linux.gauravlive.com/ubuntu/bug-fix-unable-to-install-software-packages-under-ubuntu-9-10/)
 It didn't work, but here are the commands.

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-
flashplugin.prerm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin –force

sudo dpkg –purge –force-all adobe-flashplugin

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

It didn't work.  So, what do I do next?  Is there a strategy that works to
resolve dependency/version problems such as this?  My previous experience
with similar problems was always somewhat "hit and miss" but I quickly found
the problem.  This time I seem to be going around in circles.

Thanks,

Glenn Starling