[TriLUG] rotate logs to another device? WAS: Re: centralized logging

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Tue Jan 19 15:27:58 EST 2010

I've gone ahead with syslog-ng and I really like it.

I have a ton of space on a SAN. What I'd like to do is have excess
logs get moved over to the SAN on a regular basis. Im going to dig
into the syslog-ng docs and see if it can handle this sort of mirror/
split-brain setup, but this seems like a common enough use case (at
least, I think so!), so I'd like to hear what other people are doing.

logrotate won't rotate to another device. Does anyone have any
pointers or suggestions to putting together a cron job or something to
do handle this?

I like having the logs handy for quick debugging/checking, but then
have a relatively  large store for historical logs that will get
crunched from time to time. I also don't want logging to fail if the
SAN has gone down (or I'd just put all the logs directly on the SAN).

Thanks,
JJ