[TriLUG] using sshd tunnelling for dns request

Kristopher Kane kristopher.kane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:29:07 EST 2010

Even if it is not NIPRNET, and it is a camp-wide wifi network intended for
> the morale of the troops, there are always policies in place and typically
> with good reason. Use of non-dod web-based email is prohibited. All

I know where you are going with this, but that isn't true.  Now, there are
military driven MWR sites, but there are also many non-military, even
local-national sites that are "legitimate" but over charge the troops for
poor service. (Daisy-chained netgear switches running over 100m CAT-V
segments while being run over by vehicles :-)  )  These sites are not
subject to military policy.   General Order #1 is in effect for the Soldier,
but not for the network.  Consider it TWC in the barracks, but over seas.

Clay, I think they should be policed up.  I have seen one busted with
servers capturing data.  If the OP Son's site is one of these I mention
above, then I suspect DNS is on proxy for 'not so good' reasons.

-Kane