[TriLUG] apple mac books and ipp

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Tue Feb 2 22:22:48 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Ralph Blach <chipperb at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Cristobal,
>
> Macs run Cups by default.

To print locally, sure, but when a Mac is looking for a printer on
another machine to print to, it can use any of several different
systems, including Bonjour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

and Macs can and do routinely print to printers being shared out with
Samba (SMB/CIFS). I'm really not interested in arguing with you about
what Macs can or should do with regard to printers, though. I'm
interested in helping you solve your original problem, which I believe
was configuring a specific printer connected to a specific Linux box.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your current network looks
something like this (pardon the horrible ASCII art):

 -------------
(   internet  )
(   (WAN)     )
 -------------

        ----------| ADSL Modem |-----| wifi router |

                                                      |- Linux box
|--| USB printer |

Is that right? If not, could you please go somewhere like
http://www.gliffy.com/ and make us a diagram of what you've got?

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer