[TriLUG] MythTV box recommendations?

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Feb 8 23:28:55 EST 2010

I've done MythTV off & on as my spare hardware allows.  Right now my
Myth infrastructure is down.

I never did like the quality of the picture from analog capture cards.
However, the digital capture devices like the HDHomeRun delivered
beautiful picture quality.

You'll get a much better recording of local channels with a half decent
over the air antenna. Time Warner is recompressing the local channels
and they look awful in comparison.

Other than the local channels, pretty much all of the digital channels
on Time-Warner were encrypted QAM last time I checked. You can get a "HD
firewire tuner" (just a set top box with one tuner, no PVR functions)
from T-W which will decrypt the channels & send them over a firewire
port as MPEG2. Some channels like ESPN & HBO, etc are going to  be
blacked out but a lot of the other standard cable channels should work
just fine.

With the current version of MythTV, you can use a dual core Intel Atom
based system board with nVidia ION chipset. This is a killer combination
for a front end box. See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU for more on
how this works.