[TriLUG] Comparing a Univac 1105 with today's PC

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 9 10:36:59 EST 2010

Peter,

Thank you! Very helpful information. I wondered what all those cables on
the magnetic drum were for (see http://www.ibiblio.org/comphist/drum).
The ed-thelen.org site had info on weight and size (what an amazing
website!!!). Here's my revised blurb that I sent to the IT folks along
with your post:

The Univac 1105 at UNC-Chapel Hill had 8,192 36-bit "words," each of
which could be used to store an integer, floating point number, or 6
characters. In today's measure, its memory capacity was less than 50
kilobytes.

It took .000008 seconds between initiation of a call for data from core
memory and delivery of the data (access time).

Auxiliary storage was a magnetic drum which stored 32,000 words with
access time of .017 second.

The computer weighed about 35 Tons. The floor space for the computer was
approximately 3,752 sq ft. The capacity of its air conditioning unit was
75 Tons.  The computer was installed in the basement of a new addition
to Phillips Hall that was specifically constructed for this purpose,
with a recessed floor and plenum type of installation.
-----

Thanks again,

Judy
----