[TriLUG] Need secondary DNS provider

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Feb 17 12:35:20 EST 2010

> can the trilug machine do this? Seems like a useful thing to
> do for members.

I am sure that it would not be too hard to provide DNS service
on the TriLUG machines.

However, what WOULD be hard is the user interface where we allow
our members to make changes to their DNS records.  We probably
don't want to go passing the root passwords around.  So we'd need
a secure way for folks to make their own DNS changes, and to
securely consolidate them together into a single BIND/whatever
config.

I am not aware of any ready-to-use packages that do that part.
And I really don't feel like experimenting in this space.  If you
find a multi-user DNS management package, please share with the
group.  Otherwise, I would recommend the free services mentioned
here.

Alan

.