[TriLUG] PoE cameras (for security) and software to record them

e.m.fields fields.emmett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:57:21 EST 2010

Hi David
I've been looking into this problem myself. I'm using ubuntu karmic on a
couple of somewhat underpowered laptops and hoping to set up a wireless
network for home surveillance due to a home care situation.

I've researched a little bit about the cameras, and it seems like the
most bang for the buck in the sub $100 range (with wireless ) is these
little Linksys IP cameras
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=wireless+camera&ved=0CD8QrQQwAg&show=dd&cid=13007843675613481358&sa=title&os=reviews#>.

As far as configuring the cameras:
I know that I can do this with windows XP without too much trouble, but
I'd like to be able to manage it with linux... some of these cameras
require, for no sensible reason that I can determine, that you configure
them using a windows exe on a CD through Internet Explorer. Mmkay?

*I'd like to hear confirmation from someone who has done this w linux.
**Anyone?
*

Regarding recording to disk:
Again, I am concerned that these cameras probably include some
proprietary windows software and no documentation on how to do it by any
other means. I am certain I can get live video over the net
webcam-style, but not sure about recording it.

Software:
Read good reviews about this: http://www.zoneminder.com/

Please let me know of any further progress or success with your setup. I
take it you're going to do this via ethernet instead of wireless?

Thanks
- matt fields