[TriLUG] Need secondary DNS provider

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Feb 17 16:36:20 EST 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Alan Porter wrote:

> However, what WOULD be hard is the user interface where we
> allow our members to make changes to their DNS records.
> We probably don't want to go passing the root passwords
> around.

If we really want to not duplicate free services, then we
should unplug the trilug machine, get yahoo e-mail addresses
and move the mailing list to yahoo.

How about one of the people whose DNS record is being hosted
volunteer to handle updates on a rotating basis (say for a
year at a time). There must be 100 TriLUG'ers with their own
domain names and hopefully at least one of those people can
be trusted with the passwd. Does TriLUG want to be known as
the bunch of Linux enthusiasts who can't run a name server?

I've had only one IP change in 15yrs and that was when the
ISP's blocks were reassigned. I can't see much keyboard time
being required to maintain DNS.

Joe