[TriLUG] Failing at Ubuntu Wireless Adapter Crap Shoot

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Mar 4 10:54:05 EST 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Scott Chilcote wrote:

> We happen to already have a wireless network, so I thought
> I'd buy a USB wireless network adapter for it and go
> online.

USB wireless adapters are hard in Linux. Not so long ago I
saw a posting on one of the developer's lists saying that
there'd never be a linux usb wifi dongle (they weren't going
to do through the pain of doing it).

I have a pci wireless card in one of my machines playing the
same role - an Atheros AR500G which I bought from Intrex in
Durham. I think it was called a TP Link something or other
and it runs the madwifi drivers

Joe