[TriLUG] Graphing bandwidth per IP Address without SNMP

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:24:59 EST 2010

Greetings all,

I am looking for a tool that will create bandwidth graphs for a given subnet without installing SNMP agents on all my machines.  Essentially, I want to install a network probe (ntop, bandwidthd, etc) to collect data on the subnet in promiscuous mode then push the resulting data to an RRD database.  From there, I want a GUI to run reports on the data (top talkers, 95th percentile per IP address, IP flow per IP address, etc).  I would like to get general daily/weekly/monthly graphs and display some detailed data (flow stats for specific IP Addresses, etc).

So far, I have installed Cacti and can generate graphs for my SNMP-enabled devices.  But, I don't want to install SNMP agents on all my machines.  I spun up a new CentOS server running both NTOP and Bandwidthd (and pushing the data to an RRD database) but have not been able to get a graphing solution in place.  The Cacti interface is very nice but I have not been able to find a way to graph the NTOP or Bandwidthd data.

A few google searches turned up "http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bandwidth-monitoring-tools-for-linux.html"  (Bandwidth monitoring Tools for Linux), but many of these tools provide only are text-based output.

Any pointers/help?

Thanks,

-Ron