[TriLUG] Triangle Java Users Group (TriJUG) mtg reminder: Monday March 15th

Pete Soper Pete at Soper.US
Sun Mar 14 22:57:20 EDT 2010

Triangle Java Users Group presents:

 Domain Specific Languages: Fighting accidental complexity in a sea of
technology

By Shawn Hartsock

 March 15, 2010
 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
 Red Hat/Raleigh
 1801 Varsity Drive, Raleigh, NC
 Hosted by JBoss

Presentation summary:

Because the world is full of software there is a high risk of adding
accidental complexity to systems. Today software systems are rarely
written from scratch and software must be made from existing systems
for use by other systems. What is unique to each application may be
lost in the noise of solving accidental problems created by using what
already is in place.  If we decompose applications into domains and
create common ways to manipulate these domains we can accomplish both
the vital tasks of allowing interoperability and hiding accidental
complexity. Domain Specific Languages coupled with Meta-Programming
can be a powerful set of techniques in our battle to keep complexity.
at bay.

About the Speaker

Shawn Hartsock holds a B.S. in Computer Science (gingerly in his
hands) from the University of Alaska Fairbanks... and even managed to
take a few graduate level computer science courses while on a teaching
fellowship. Shawn has lived in Alaska, as well as Bavaria, and
currently lives outside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Shawn is a
Senior Software Engineer for Clinipace Worldwide (clinipace.com) a
Digital CRO and has been published several times in GroovyMag
(GroovyMag.com) a magazine for the Groovy/Grails/Griffon developer
community.

Agenda:

6:00 - 6:30 -- Setup, TriJUG board discussion (open to all)
6:30 - 7:00 -- Meet, Talk, Pizza & soft drinks
7:00 - 7:15 -- JUG Business and Announcements, including "share a job"
7:15 - 8:15 -- Presentation
8:15 - 8:30 -- Discussion with Presenters
8:30        -- Raffle
9:00        -- Doors close

Admission:

Paid-up members of TriJUG may attend without additional charge. Non
members are asked to pay $5 per meeting. But, if you are either a full
time student or unemployed, then we ask only $2 per meeting. Membership
for 12 months is $40 and $15 respectively.

DIRECTIONS to Red Hat:
 Google Maps location (Superman could see that this is where the pizza
will be sitting):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=35.773645,-78.676336&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=35.773447,-78.676398&sspn=0.000899,0.001585&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19

 From the Raleigh Beltline:

   Take the Western Blvd exit east toward downtown Raleigh. After
crossing Gorman Street turn right onto Varsity Drive. After crossing
Avent Ferry Road and Main Campus Drive, Red Hat's main entrance is on
the left. Parking is just beyond the entrance: a left into the parking
deck. Come back out of the deck, follow the sidewalk to the right and
back to the main entrance. The meeting room is to the left after
entering the main lobby.

The TriJUG web site is http://trijug.org
Details about the TriJUG email lists juglist at trijug.org (discussion) and
jobslist at trijug.org" (jobs) are at http://trijug.org/subscribe.jsp
NOTICE: Email sent to either of these lists is limited to 40k characters
per message.