[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Dave Sorenson sorenson at uffdaa.com
Tue Mar 16 22:55:07 EDT 2010

I went to a Droid Eris made by HTC (same basic phone as the Hero) and am
glad I did. It blows the Blackberry 8830 I had out of the water. Two
downsides, the Eris is Android 1.5, but Verizon is promising the 2.x
upgrade OTA soon and battery life could be better. I have to charge it
every night. I am pulling 4 email accounts every 5 minutes and using it
heavily for mobile data though.

Sync with Gmail calendar and e-mail is effortless, And I've gotten work
Groupwise mail syncing via IMAP and a delegate rule for my calendar items.
Plus 2 IMAP mailboxes on my personal server.

I was at a conference the last 2 days and used PDANet to tether my laptop
for connectivity with no issues at all. In fact I had a faster 3g
connection than the conference center wireless would connect at. (2.3Mbps)

The application store for the Android is growing every day and I even have
found some applications for Ham radio that are pretty obscure.

My wife has the Motorola droid and I'd recommend that as well. I wasn't
impressed with the slide out keyboard so I went with the less expensive
Eris. The Motorola does use the 2.x Android the only thing I miss is turn
by turn directions in Google maps, but that will come when mine updates to
2.x.

Maybe I've become a Fandroid... I don't know, but you can keep your Jesus
phone. (ducks and puts on flame proof underware) :-)
Dave