[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Wed Mar 17 02:08:44 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM,  <kwoodie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok so I am thinking about switching from my blackberry curve to a Android based phone or an iPhone.  Which is the best in the eyes of TriLUG?

I'll let Tim Bray (co-editor of the original XML spec) speak for me:

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/03/15/Joining-Google

Key quote:

"The iPhone vision of the mobile Internet’s future omits controversy,
sex, and freedom, but includes strict limits on who can know what and
who can say what. It’s a sterile Disney-fied walled garden surrounded
by sharp-toothed lawyers. The people who create the apps serve at the
landlord’s pleasure and fear his anger."

If you laugh because you're happy jailbreaking your iPhone to get out
of that Disneyland, I don't really have a response.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
ibiblio.org systems