[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 09:59:39 EDT 2010

OK, this thread is perfectly timed for me. I currently have a Droid with
Verizon for testing as a business replacement to our Sprint 8830 World
Editions and BES (Blackberry Enterprise Services).  So far, it's fast, the
screen is neat and it didn't take me too long to type at a decent speed with
the landscaped touch-type keyboard.  I have a personal Sprint 8330 Curve as
well, so I'm also using this business test drive as a chance to test for
home use.

I use a macbook and so the iPhone is where I lean for personal use.  I have
not yet tried to sync up anything with my macbook at home as I'm testing the
Droid for business use.

** Here's my biggest issue so far - Do you run Exchange at work and expect
to sync with it?  Yes, it has an option in the wizard for connecting to
Exchange.  With port 443 open and the settings for "push" I'm getting
immediate email notifications and my outlook contacts and calendar have
synced no problem.  THE issue - Thus far I have no figured out either the
Droid settings or Exchange Server settings required for my Droid to utilize
the Exchange/Outlook Global Address List.  I know at least one person on
this list who says this works but is unable to say how or why.  Without the
ability to use the GAL, the business use for the Droid when your company
runs Exchange is just about nil, zip, zero.  Has anyone crossed this bridge
and have any suggestions?  I have heard of "corporate directory" but that
its integration into the Exchange email app is indirect and clumsy at best.
I would have expected GAL to work out of box.  Both Verizon and Motorola
have so far both told me that even Exchange functionality doesn't exist...
yet I'm connected by a wizard in the Droid to Exchange... great support
lines... so I'm still researching this issue.

Otherwise the Droid is neat, the Google stuff is cool, particularly the FREE
Nav beta tools.  The Google apps work well.  The $30 mount plus hard shell
case is the way to go for ease of taking it out pocket and putting it in
"car" mode for voice nav or calling.

Droid/iPhone for personal use... I'm still undecided but I know I hate my
Curve now LOL
Droid/iPhone for business use... Droid will depend on GAL.  iPhone already
does this successfully so I'm told by many :)

laters,
David McDowell