[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:21:56 EDT 2010

<rant>
The newer 1.9GHZ/PCS cellular networks are not mature as the 800mhz
networks (Verizon/Alltel etc).
The band it self is not conducive to penetration of structures or
distance. Additionally Cellular networks are built
on the basis of mobile coverage. That is in ascending priority:
Major intersections; Major highways; Peak traffic; infill of
interstitials (in between places). That is the reason for
the spotty coverage on these type of networks. ATT is more interested in
upgrading to 4G than they are fixing
their coverage issues. They're just cheap skapes and it tells by their
customer service.

The majority of the 1.9/PCS cellular networks are GSM as well. I am not
a fan of GSM.
The encryption for voice, 2G and 3G is broken so bad it can be hacked
nearly instantly.
A hacked call can be dropped to an "in the clear" call and you will
never even know.
http://openbts.sourceforge.net/
</rant>

Ok, Im done now.