[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Mar 17 10:36:56 EDT 2010

 > 1) Echoing on a regular basis

This question came up a lot when I worked at Ericsson.

I do not remember the details, but I do remember that this is
a problem at the cellular base station and mobile switching center.
It has to do with latencies and echo-cancellation that is done
when the voice channel is encoded for transmission over the air.

 > 2) Dropped calls.  My brother in Maryland can drive a particular
 > section of I-95 and his iPhone will drop our call every time.

This is a hole in coverage.

 > On a regular basis I lose calls for unknown reasons.

This is NOT a hole in coverage, but some unknown quirk in AT&T's
network.  And yes, it is very annoying.

I would recommend downloaded this app and reporting the dropped
calls to AT&T.

http://appshopper.com/utilities/att-mark-the-spot

Alan

.