[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Mar 17 11:44:32 EDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 11:35 AM, Jim wrote:

> Yes, but there is value in others being able to do it.  I don't want my choice of applications mediated by a corporation.

I agree, again I didn't mean to imply their isn't value, just that if the owner himself is not going to take advantage of it, then the closed source nature of developing apps *himself* is not an issue.  My point was in response to this:

"Ultimately I chose to go with the Droid. It has been great so far (2 weeks)
and I immediately went out and downloaded the Android SDK to start building
apps for it (I've already released two) something I'm not sure I would've
done with the iPhone due to Apple's Stalinesque control of the App Store"

If you the barrier to developing your apps is "Apple's Stalinesque control of the App Store", but you have no intention of developing your own apps, then it's irrelevant.  That was my point.  i do agree that the open source model does indeed make it easier for the average person to develop an app and publish it, as opposed to Apple's App store model.  No one is knocking open source here!

Matt P.