[TriLUG] Android Phone vs iPhone vs other smartphones

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Thu Mar 18 13:26:56 EDT 2010

Apps on my launcher screen, all free:

Helix Launcher is faster than the stock launcher and has a few more features.
Maybe the 2.1 launcher will make it obsolete.

K-9 Mail for IMAP mailboxes, including GMail.  Stock Android 2.0.1 mail client can't move message from one folder to another (??)

Astrid - Full featured task list, and still looking for something that will sync with Zimbra.

MixZing lite - music/video player

Meebo IM - the only free, multiprotocol IM client I could find that doesn't require registering with a third party and giving them all my login creds.  Using today for Yahoo and Jabber.

Advanced Task Killer

WithBible

Widgets: MotoTorch, BatterySnap, WeatherBug, Ringer Toggle

BTW, Amdroid is really cool - spartan interface to Ampache but works.  Access to all my music collection wherever there's wifi or cell data access!   Playlist handling is cumbersome.   I am thinking about pitching in on development of this one, since it has gone inactive.