[TriLUG] google to offer FttH?

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Mon Mar 22 15:33:31 EDT 2010

On 03/22/2010 03:21 PM, Dave Moody wrote:
> Google would not be doing this if they did not plan on getting into this in a big way, obviously. They already know about our searches, and this would get them into the "highway" business.  But when you are on the highway, you can only go where the highway goes.

Not necessarily. Google could be trying to push telcoms and
municipalities into making people more connected at higher speeds. They
realize they are positioned to benefit greatly if people have more
bandwidth with better videos on youtube, or their google tv stuff they
are experimenting with. So if more people have bigger pipes they'll win.
Even if they take a loss on the pipes themselves.

I see it as something similar to Chrome. It's not that Google wants to
be in the browser business, but the lack of progress from other browser
vendors was frustrating to them. So they uppped the ante by making their
own and sending everyone else scrambling to match.

If they killed Chrome as a project now they'd still win because browsers
are now faster than they would have been had Chrome not come along.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP