[TriLUG] cheap offsite backup

Scott Schulz swschulz at astrum.net
Sun Mar 28 07:37:23 EDT 2010

On 03/27/2010 09:57 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu hardy server and I'd like to do offsite backup. I've
> had somebody recommend tarsnap (http://www.tarsnap.com/) for this.
> Anybody have experience with it?

My brother has been using tarsnap for some months now, and seems to like
the service, and from what he has mentioned, the customer service is
also first rate.

> to spinning up another VM to back up this VM), and I'd like to pay <<
> $5/month if possible. Initially I'll be backing up about 14G worth of
> database dumps, /var/www, etc. and I expect this to grow by about 512M
> per month.

For my stuff, I am using Duplicity to create monthly full backups plus
daily incrementals and rotating them ever third month.  These are all
gpg encrypted and pushed to Amazon S3.  For those using less than 50 TB,
Amazon charges 15 cents per GB stored.

Another similar option is the newish Rackspace Cloud Storage.  Both
platforms are easy to interact with from almost any language, so if you
want to roll your own, you can do so.