[TriLUG] problems with Core i3 or intel gfx?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Mar 28 14:51:07 EDT 2010

Hullo List,

My father recently acquired a new machine, and asked me to put Ubuntu on
it.  I dutifully whipped out a USB key, put the Karmic 64bit iso onto
it, and tried to boot it.  It got to the normal "Try Ubuntu ..." screen,
but seemed to lock up soon thereafter.  I never got the ubuntu-logo
booting screen and certainly wasn't able to load the LiveCD desktop.

Thinking I might have some bad media, I tried booting this (my) laptop
with the USB key: 100% success.

I then tried PXE booting my father's new machine from this machine:
exact same deal as with the USB key: kernel loads, boots, the screen
clears to black, and then nothing.

I tried a few options, like noapic, apci=off, to no avail.

So I'm left wondering what the problem is.  I can't get to anything even
remotely usable, or even telling of what the problem might be.  I've
removed the 'splash' and 'quiet' boot options, and still don't see
anything helpful.  After googling, I'm wondering if it's do with the
support for the i3, the integrated Intel graphics, or something else;
unfortunately, nothing fruitful yet.

Do others have any experience with this?  For reference, it's a Dell
Studio, w/ Core i3-350M and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD.

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Kevin