[TriLUG] can't connect to wap when move it to alternate location

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Apr 3 21:02:29 EDT 2010

A business wants to replace their ceiling ethernet cables
with wifi. I know Jim Ray will think this a bad idea, but
I've decided to gave it a go.

I've taken 3 different "g" waps, two laptops and two
different pcmcia cards to the business. Everything works
fine at home, but when I get to the business, I can't
connect to the wap. Then on my return home, the gear works
fine and the connection stays up for hours.

At the business I can't even see the wap with `iwlist scan`.
It's like the wap is off. I moved the wap to the other of
the business and can connect intermittantly, but most of the
time I can't see the wap with `iwlist scan`, while I can
pick up other waps, presumably in the neighboring businesses
(all in the same building). When I see my wap, it's strong,
as expected. Next scan it's gone.

I'd think that something was interferring, except I can pick
up other nearby waps just fine. Maybe the laptop end is not
being interferred with, and the wap is.

The business has 5.8GHz extension phones. They're needed for
the business so I haven't been able to disable them yet.
(I'll come in after hours sometime). I can't imagine that a
5.8GHz phone is interferring with a 2.4GHz wap. As well I'd
expect the extension phones only to cause problems when
being used, but even when the phones aren't being used, I
can't connect to the wap.

I'm thinking of crazy things, like maybe there's a cell
phone transmitter in some service room 20 ft away.

A couple of the adjacent businesses have functioning wifi,
so it must be possible.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks Joe