[TriLUG] Multicast across VLANs - Cisco Specific

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Tue Apr 6 12:00:25 EDT 2010

I don't think what you are trying to do is possible.

There are two interesting things you can do with multicast on your Cisco
gear using IGMP and MVR. Neither of these does what you are after.
Google for IGMP snooping.  This lets you control where multicast traffic
goes within a VLAN. MVR lets users stay in separate VLANs and also
subscribe to the multicast.

It sounds like what you want is to bridge VLANs by making a routing
decision based on multicast traffic. Is that right? Is that REALLY what
you want or is that just an idea cooked up for bridging VLANs?