[TriLUG] new laptop

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 07:21:04 EDT 2010

Don't spend extra for "Switchable graphics".  There's no Linux support
for switching.

Radeon video chips run at full speed all the time in Linux (no support
for lower power settings) so a laptop's battery won't last long.
Intel video is better in that regard, though slower at 3D.

I'd stick with Intel wireless if you can.  Quirky, yes, buggy,
sometimes, but supported by the mainline kernel and distros fairly
quickly.  No hoops.

Finally, at the price points you're looking at, price out a ThinkPad T
series.  They're the only maker that I know of that still lets you
customize to a high resolution display.  I can't stand the low
resolutions on "consumer" grade laptops.  If you ask around, you might
be able to find an IBMer or Lenovo employee with an employee discount
code.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Thomas Ingram <thomas at ravinggenius.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a laptop soon, and I'm looking some input.
> Below are the four I'm looking at. The price and many features are
> nearly identical. All four come with some incarnation of Windows,
> which I will probably not even boot into before installing Linux.
>
> - Does anybody know if TigerDirect or NewEgg will remove Window (and
> the licence fee)? I've heard of stores doing this when the buyer
> brought a live CD in and reformatted the hard drive in front of the
> clerk.
> - My current laptop has Ubuntu because proprietary wireless drivers
> were so difficult to install in Arch Linux. If someone can confirm
> that wireless "just works", more or less, in Arch Linux with one of
> these, that would probably trump every other consideration.
> - Are there any (Linux) specific pros or cons with any of these
> regarding brand, support, drivers et cetera? What are your thoughts?
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220710
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115763
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5642179
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5766707
>
> I really appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Thank you.
>
> --
> Thomas Ingram ><>
> Raving Genius™ - foaming at the brain™
> 919 449.6305
> thomas at ravinggenius.com
> http://www.ravinggenius.com/
> http://www.isittheweekendyet.com/

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com