[TriLUG] new laptop

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sat Apr 10 09:40:52 EDT 2010

At 8:41pm -0400 Fri, 09 Apr 2010, Thomas Ingram wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a laptop soon, and I'm looking some input.
> Below are the four I'm looking at. The price and many features are
> nearly identical. All four come with some incarnation of Windows,
> which I will probably not even boot into before installing Linux.
>
> - Does anybody know if TigerDirect or NewEgg will remove Window (and
> the licence fee)? I've heard of stores doing this when the buyer
> brought a live CD in and reformatted the hard drive in front of the
> clerk.

I did this when I bought this laptop from D_ll.  (It doesn't work so
well to do it in front of the clerk when it's mail order, eh?  ;-)  )
It turned out to be a bit of an ordeal, but as long as you're prepared
for it, then great.  For me, it wasn't about the money, it was about the
"I don't want it, don't cram it down my throat" aspect -- the philosophy
of it -- so I didn't mind spending about fours hours for the whole process.

You may appreciate taking a gander through the comments of this slashdot
article from two years ago:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/27/0027212

Then there's also the article that inspired me to go through with the
"give me my money back for what I'm not using":

http://www.linux.com/articles/59381

As for hardware?  I'd say Mr. Tate made some good points.  I'd say
"check that each individual component you want to use has kernel
support", but Joseph made some excellent points.  I personally wasn't
aware about the resolution tidbit, and, as an aside, since I'm seriously
contemplating a tablet PC next go-round, I might just take his advice.

Hope that helps and good luck.  Let us know how it goes?

Kevin