[TriLUG] Kernel Compiles

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Sun Apr 11 23:26:39 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Maxwell Spangler
<maxlists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:
> Just curious,
>
> When was the last time you compiled your own kernel?
>
> And why did you feel the need to do it?

Earlier this year at work I was compiling custom debian kernels for
some network server products.  I wanted the out of tree drivers for
NICs and misc hardware to be built into a single debian package. I was
also able to tailor the kernels to the CPU type and optimize some
things, rather than just generic i686 or amd64.

 At my new job I am doing custom kernels for embedded powerpc and arm
processors, but thats not what you are interested in, since it is too
hardware focused.

At home I am patching and building kernels to debug an Intel 855GM
graphics bug on my laptop.  I have also built openwrt kernels and
software for my wrt350n router, and I am now looking at my Dlink
DNS-323 NAS box :-)

Bill