[TriLUG] how to restore lvm data

Ralph Blach chipperb at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 20:43:21 EDT 2010

Ok, I made a bad mistake.  I accidentally deleted the partion table for
a disk
but the linux box still has the lvm data on it.

However system config lvm does not show a /dev/sdc where the lvm's  are
located.
is there a way to recover /dev/sdc to show so that the lvm's are shown
on /dev/sdc

The data is still there and the system still boots.
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/LogVoLNew-Home on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/LogVoLNew-Local on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/rcblach/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=rcblach)

/dev/ram0  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/root  [      144.91 GB]
   /dev/ram1  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/sda1  [      149.04 GB]
   /dev/dm-1  [        3.94 GB]
   /dev/ram2  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/dm-2  [      300.00 GB]
   /dev/ram3  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/dm-3  [      165.76 GB]
   /dev/ram4  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram5  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram6  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram7  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram8  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram9  [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram10 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram11 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram12 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram13 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram14 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/ram15 [       16.00 MB]
   /dev/sdb1  [      200.00 MB]
   /dev/sdb2  [      148.85 GB] LVM physical volume
   /dev/sdc1  [      465.76 GB]
   /dev/sdd   [      465.76 GB]

Chip