[TriLUG] Failure Copying Large Amounts of Data

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 16 12:22:38 EDT 2010

On Friday 16 April 2010 09:29:50 boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem copying > 90 GB of data between file systems.  Here is
> the context:

This doesn't answer your question, but perhaps might give you some new ideas.

I use incremental rsync backups:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200609/200609.htm
http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups_2010.html

Every couple weeks I tarball the current backup to a few .tgz files and copy
them to harddisks for onsite and offsite backup. We're talking 14GB of data.

If I do a copy where both the source and destination are USB drives, it hangs
in the middle. Either the source of the destination must be SATA or PATA or
whatever.

If I read your message right, both source and destination are on a USB drive.
As a diagnostic test, try copying from the source to a SATA or PATA drive, and
then copy back to the destination. If this works then you have the "can't have
both source and destination on USB drive" problem, and at least you have a
name and idea for the problem you're trying to solve.

Keep me in the loop -- I'd love to solve this problem. Right now I copy to a
SATA drive and then keep copying to my USB drives, which is a kludge
workaround.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt